Back home, I used to eat lentils at least once a month. It was such a common pantry item, that I was surprised when I started noticing that not all the stores sell lentils. They actually have 1000 types of beans but not even one type of lentil. This week, I have been craving lentils A LOT. So much that I made 2 lentil recipes and now I think I won’t miss them for a while.
I decided to post this recipe because is vegetarian and can be vegan if you tweak it. This casserole is flavorful, comforting, and different from anything else out there. I know it has lots of ingredients, but you can use mushroom soup instead of making your own sauce. This will help to shorten your cooking time. Also, you can add mashed potatoes on top of it, if you want to stay away from the cheese.
Ingredients For Beluga Black LENTILS
1 1/2 Cup of Beluga Black Lentils
2 1/4 Cup of Water
- Pre-heat sous-vide to 185-degree Fahrenheit.
- Place the Beluga black lentils and water in an 800ml mason jar.
- Sous-vide for 1.5hr.
Ingredients for vEGGIES
Olive Oil (To cook)
1 LB (8 Oz) of Mushrooms (Sliced)
2 Carrots (Chopped)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper (Chopped)
1 1/2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
1/2 White Onion (Chopped)
1 Bay Leave
1/2 Tbs Thyme
Directions for veggies
- In a large cooking pan, add olive oil, mushrooms, carrots, red bell pepper, garlic cloves, white onion, bay leave, and thyme.
- Cook until all veggies are tender.
Ingredients for Curry Bechamel sauce
4 Tbs of Unsalted Butter
2 1/2 Cup of Milk
4 Tbs of Flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
2 Tsp of Curry
Directions For Curry bechamel Sauce
- In a medium cooking pan, melt the unsalted butter.
- After the butter has melted, add milk and bring to boil.
- while the milk is boiling add the flour, and mix quickly.
- add salt, pepper, and curry. Combine all ingredients.
Ingredients to assamble the cASSEROLE
Cooked Black Lentils
Curry Bechamel Sauce
Directions to assemble the casserole
- In a baking pan add cooked lentils, veggies, and curry bechamel sauce. Combine all ingredients.
- Add parmesan cheese on top.