This is one of our favorite week meal recipes. Who doesn’t like mashed potatoes and ground beef at once? It’s just one of those recipes that give you comfort in one spoon. My husband and I love how easy this recipe is. Especially, when we are busy with work, we have food for a couple of days and don’t have to worry about cooking after a long day. If you are not like us, that can eat the same thing for days, you can also freeze it and you will have a healthy, homemade meal whenever you don’t expect it.
The filling is tasty: it has mushrooms, carrots, and onions. You can add peas or another veggie that you love. More Veggies would not hurt! Just let me tell you about the mashed sweet potatoes: the topping has butter for more creaminess, cumin and other spices to add more depth to the flavor. After baking it, the top is toasty… This is just fantastic!
Ingredients For the Sweet potato Topping
6 Small Sweet Potatoes (Peeled and diced)
1 Tsp of Salt
2 Tbs of Unsalted Butter
1/2 Tsp of Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp of Onion Powder
1/2 Tsp of Cumin
Directions The sweet potato Topping
- Boil sweet potatoes until tender.
- After the sweet potatoes are cooked, add salt, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin.
- Using a fork mash the potatoes and mix all the ingredients.
1/2 Large Onion (Chopped)
3 Garlic Cloves (Mince)
2 Carrots (Peeled and diced)
3 Cups of Baby Bella Mushrooms (Sliced)
1 lb of Ground Beef
1 Tsp of Salt (Or to taste)
1/2 Tsp of Oregano
1/2 Tsp of Cumin
1/2 Tsp of Italian Seasoning
6 Oz of Tomato Paste
1/2 Cup of Water
Directions oF fILLING
- In a large sauce pan, add olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots and cook on medium heat for about 7 minutes.
- Add ground beef, salt, oregano, cumin, Italian seasoning.
- When the ground beef is almost fully cooked, add the tomato paste and water. Cook all the ingredients for 5 more minutes.
Directions for Shepherd's pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium baking dish add the filling on the bottom, and the sweet potato on the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes and broil for 5 minutes.