One of my closest friends is from Valencia, Spain. She always wants to share her traditions, celebrations, and recipes. I think she has explained to me how to make Tortilla de Patatas at least 3 times. Finally, this morning, I realized that I had enough potatoes, and eggs to make it. This breakfast is easy and delicious. Now that I know how to make it, I will be rotating this tortilla into my breakfast routine.
2 1/2 Cups Olive Oil
3 Med Gold Potatoes – Peeled and sliced less than 1/4″
1 Yellow Onion – Sliced thinly
6 eggs – beaten
- Add Oil to a high walled skillet and place over medium heat.
- Next, add potatoes and onions to skillet. The oil should be covering them. If not add a little more.
- Boil the potatoes and onion in the oil for about 12 minutes or until soft.
- Once the potatoes are soft, strain the onion and potatoes from the oil and set aside to cool for a moment. Reserve the oil for next time you make this dish.
- Beat the 6 eggs in a large bowl and then add the potatoes and onion to the eggs.
- In a non-stick skillet add some olive oil, and then the egg and potatoes mixture.
- Cook on High heat for about 1 minute then on med-low heat covered for 4 – 5 minutes. The egg around the edges should keep it shape.
- Run a rubber spatula along the outer edges of the tortilla (eggs) to make sure it’s not sticking and to help it form its shape. Place a plate on top of the skillet (It could get hot so use an oven mitt) and flip the pan over so the tortilla land on the plate.
- Slide the tortilla back into the pan so the other side of the tortilla can cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. I continue to run a rubber spatula around the side to ensure it doesn’t stick. You’ll know it is done If you place a knife down the middle and it comes out clean.
- Once done, slide the tortilla out of the pan, slice and enjoy hot! (I top mine with a little sea salt.)