Growing up, patacon was one of the most common side dishes that you will have for lunch. I used to eat patacones at least once a week. I could get them in every restaurant with different toppings and seasonings. When I moved to Kansas, I was relieved to find plantains in almost every grocery store.
Patacones are great to eat with Guacamole, salsa, or just by itself. Every time I introduce this side dish, to anybody, they seem to like it and request them again. If you want to try something different and healthy try this patacones, at the end, this is just a green banana.
In case you ever go to Colombia, Patacones is a great restaurant and is worth to try.
Vegetable oil (use to fry)
Salt to taste
- Remove the skin of the plantains.
- Cut the plantain in 1 inch thick slices.
- When the vegetable oil is hot, fry the plantains for 3 minutes
- Flat the plantains by applying pressure on each piece. I usually use a cutting board to flatten them. Do not use your hands. Remember that you just fry them.
- Fry the flatten pieces for 2 minutes each side or until golden.