If you haven’t seen Parks and rec I highly recommend it. Each character is so funny, but my favorite is Ben. This recipe is really inspired by Ben’s love of Calzones. Also, as Ben says, pizza is old news, it’s your grandfathers Calzone. Calzones are referenced throughout the show, but in the episode, ” The Comeback kid” Ben mention his restaurant idea of Low-Cal Calzone Zone. Now, my calzone recipe is definitely not low fat or low calorie, but it is a fast and casual recipe. Hopefully, this recipe turns you into as much as a Calzone fan as Ben is.
1 large bag of Spinach
1 box of sliced mushrooms (about 8 oz)
1 lb Pizza Dough
2 Cups Grated Mozzarella
1 Cup Ricotta
1/2 Cup parmesan
1 clove garlic, minced
Zest from 1 lemon
1/2 cup of chopped basil leaves
1 large egg
Jarred marinara sauce (to dip in)
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Heat up a pan on the stovetop and cook the mushroom and spinach. Until Spinach is wilted and mushroom are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan, garlic, lemon zest, and basil.
- Now mixt the Spinach and mushrooms into the cheese mixture.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll out 1 portion of the pizza dough into about an 8″ round.
- Generously spoon the cheese mixture onto one half of the pizza dough.
- Fold the empty half of dough over filling and press firmly around the edge to seal the calzone. I press really firmly with a fork around the edges to prevent the calzones from opening during baking. Repeat with remaining dough and filling and transfer them to a baking sheet.
- In a bowl beat 1 egg. Brush the dough with the egg to produce a nice golden crust.
- Bake the Calzones for 30 minutes or until golden brown.