A couple of summers ago my husband surprised me with this meal. Since then this is my favorite way to eat shrimp. I know this is a summer meal, but I just can’t stop making up excuses to cook this again and again. Plus, there is no reason to wait until summer to eat what you enjoy… right?
The rice has different textures that come from the mixture of rice and beans. The coconut gives a great flavor and creamy consistency that makes it feel almost like risotto…. And of course, the shrimp is delicious. The honey, lemon, and mint give the most magical senses in your mouth. I just don’t have enough words to describe how delicious this meal is. If you are a fan of coconut, mint, and lemon, then you got to try this!
mint-lemon shrimp ingredients
- 1 lb Jumbo Shrimp
- 2 Lemon
- ½ Fresh Mint leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs rum
- Coconut oil
- Peel shrimp
- Create the marinade by combining; mint leaves, rum, sugar, honey, zest, and lime juice.
- Crush mint leaves in the mixture to help extract the mint flavor.
Place the shrimp in the marinade. Let sit for 15min.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and cook shrimp with coconut oil (about 2 min each side).
- In another pan reduce the marinade by half. Then strain to remove mint leaves
. Plateshrimp and spoon the reduction over the marinade. Then Enjoy!
Jamaican Rice ingredients
- Coconut oil
- ½ diced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 bay leave
- ½ thyme
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- ½ cup of water
- 1½ cup of coconut milk
- ½ cooked kidney beans
- In a pan add coconut oil. On medium heat add the onion, garlic and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add rice, bay
leave, thyme, black pepper, salt, coconut milk, and water.
- Turn up the heat to high and let cook for about 10 min or until grain starts to soften.
- Add kidney beans, and mix into the rice. Continue cooking on med-low heat for about 10 min.
- Serve and enjoy