This are the most flavorful lentils that I have ever tried and believe me, I have eaten lots of lentils in my life :). My mom used to make me lentils once a week. When I moved to the US I had to stop eating them because I didn’t know how to make them, and they weren’t as tasty. Making lentils is easy, but making a flavorful pot of lentils is not as obvious. Once you get right recipe I am sure they will go into the recipe rotation.
I was always amazed at my mom’s lentils. Her lentils always taste meaty. She would tell me her recipe steps but never shared quantities. Well here is secret: if you want flavorful lentils DON’T BE SHY WITH THE MEAT. You can use beef, bacon, hotdog; whatever you want. Just add a lot of it and you will have dreamy lentils.
I’m back in business, lentils once a week!
1 onion (Diced)
1 Package of Bacon (Chopped)
4 1/2 Cups of Water
1 1/2 Cups of Lentils (Washed)
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes (Drained)
3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
3 Potatoes (Diced)
2 Carrots (Diced)
1 Tbs of Chipotle
Salt and Pepper (To Taste)
- In a large pot, cook the onion until brown.
- Slightly cook the bacon.
- Add water and lentils and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken bouillon, tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, Potatoes, and chipotle. Cook everything until the potatoes and carrots are tender
- Add salt and pepper to taste.