Strawberry Shortcakes. As my husband would say, this is a Jessica dessert. It not too sweet, has a biscuit, fresh fruit, and whipped cream. That makes me drool just thinking about it. This is definitely a summertime treat, but really I eat it all year round. It is one of those desserts that doesn’t make you feel too guilty after eating. This is my take on this classic with a simple twist. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 tsp sugar + 1tbsp for topping the biscuit
1 1/2 tsp salt
Zest from 1/2 a lemon
1 Stick of Butter
3/4 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Heavy cream
- Strawberry Mixture
1 lb Strawberries
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp Sugar
- Lavendar Whipped Cream
1 2/3 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp Sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
4 tsp Lavendar Syrup (or To Taste)
- Pre-Heat Oven to 400F
- Wisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Cut the cold stick of butter into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Incorporate the flour mixture and butter together. Don’t be afraid and mix it with your hands, smashing the flour and butter together.
- In a separate bowl mix together the sour cream and heavy cream.
- Create a well in the flour mixture and add the cream mixture.
- Mix well until a dough forms. Then begin to knead until most of the flour is absorbed by the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured countertop and shape into a 1-inch thick square.
- Cut in 4 equal pieces and stack them one on top of each other.
- Now smash them flat. This will help to create some layer in your biscuit.
- Now form into a 1-inch rectangle and cut into 6 equal side biscuits.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle sugar on top of the biscuits for that nice crunchy topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Strawberry Mixture
- Remove the tops and slice the strawberries into quarters.
- Mix Strawberries, lemon juice and sugar.
- Let sit, the strawberries should release their own juices.
- Lavender Whipped Cream
- In a mixer add heavy cream, sour cream, and lavender syrup. Mix slowly increasing the speed until high speed and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Once you have soft peaks, fold in the sour cream.
- Slice the biscuit in half lengthwise.
- Place one side on a plate, add a healthy portion of whipped cream, and then strawberries. Place the other biscuit half on top and enjoy!