My husband gets these weird ideas, some time they work out and some time they are quite gross. I have never heard of pickled eggs before, so I was quite skeptical at first when he wanted to make a fermented pickled egg. I thought our house was going to smell horrible, It didn’t and while pickled eggs are a little salty for my tastes, making an egg salad sandwich with them is quite fantastic. They add a little twang to this classic.
Now he suggested that I should make an inspired post for this and mention how “No man can eat 50 Eggs.” A line from a movie called cool hand luke. A movie I have also never seen but was told to include it because his dad would get a kick out of it. Well, here the reference. For all those who are like me and never seen it, I embedded a few links at the bottom of the page to the egg clips.
- Pickled Egg
2 Mason Jars 32oz
12 Hardboiled eggs
2 Can (15oz) sliced beets
2 Sprigs of dill
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbs salt
1 serrano pepper
1 tbs mustard seed
1 cup water
1 Tbsp of Mayo
2 Pickled Eggs
1/2 Tbsp Mustard
1 Slice of Provolone cheese
2 Slices of Sourdough bread
- Pickled Eggs
- Add 6 hardboiled eggs to each mason jar.
- Add the juice from one can of beets to each jar.
- For dill, sugar, salt, serrano pepper, and mustard seed add half to each jar.
- Now fill the remaining space of the jar with water.
- Seal tightly with the mason lid, and shake well to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Let sit for 3 days.
- Roughly Chop the 2 eggs
- In a bowl mix together chopped eggs, mayo and mustard
- Toast the bread and assemble the sandwich. Enjoy!