2 weeks ago, my coworkers and I went to a food tour in Little Italy. From all the restaurants that we tried, my favorite was “Sogno Di Vino”. We ate a couple of their appetizers and their tomato sauce was really tasty. After enjoying these simple plates with my coworkers, I really wanted to figure out how to make my own tomato sauce. I know there are a billion types of tomato sauces in the grocery stores, but I always appreciate the food more when it is homemade. Trust me, after you try this tomato sauce, you will see a huge difference in the taste between this one and the one in the store.
You can also simplify this recipe by using premade sauce and it will still taste great. I’m also trying to stay away from carbs, so instead of using lasagna noodles I used eggplant. The good part of this recipe is that you can make it vegan or vegetarian by replacing the ground turkey and pork with mushrooms and spinach.
1 Eggplant (Sliced* 1/4″ thick)
Olive oil (To cook)
1 Carrot (Diced)
1 Yellow Onion (Diced)
1 Garlic Clove (Minced)
5 Slices of Panceta (Cut in small pieces)
1 Can of Diced Tomatos (15.5 Oz)
1/2 lb of Ground Turkey
1/2 lb of Ground Beef
1 Tbs of Fresh Parsley
1 Tbs of Oregano
1 Stem of Fresh Rosemary
3 Mint Leaves
1/4 Cup of Milk
1/2 Cup of white Wine
1 Cup of Mozzarella Cheese
- Press the eggplant slices for 30 minutes.
- In large cooking pan, add olive oil, carrots, yellow onion, garlic, and panceta and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add drained diced tomatoes, ground turkey, ground beef. fresh parsley, oregano, fresh rosemary, and mint. Cook until meat is brown.
- Add milk and wine and cook for 50 minutes or until the sauce is reduced.
- Preheate the oven to 350F.
- Roll the eggplant slices adding some of the sauce inside the rolls.
- Add the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle mozzarella cheese
- Bake the eggplant rolls for 25 minutes.